Travelling responsibly is easy, saves you money and helps others! Responsible Travel Australia encourages people, whether they travel independently or in a group, to find out more about ‘holidays that help’.
This website has lots of great tips for independent travel. We also speak to numerous groups about Responsible Travel and have conducted empowering, life-changing journeys to highlight the impact of tourism on developing countries and to promote ‘harm-less’ holidays. Past journeys have been to Bali, Thailand and East Timor- resulting in disadvantaged groups in these countries benefitting from the injection of many thousands of dollars.
Travel impacts on communities in three areas: Culture & People, Fair Trade Tourism Environment. Go to our About page to learn more.
Often tourism has a negative impact on host communities. It can threaten livelihoods, cultural traditions and the environment. By making the right choices when travelling we can enjoy a ‘holiday that helps’.
This site provides video clips and travel tips as well as resources on the impact of travel.
We promote Community Based Tourism Initiatives (CBTIs) – where local people decide the type of tourism they want in their community and also reap the rewards. Visitors are enriched by developing lasting friendships with hosts and experiencing the culture at first hand AND save money at the same time – winner!
This small not for profit enterprise is one of the many social justice initiatives of the Uniting Church Victoria Tasmania.Actions
- Google community based tourism in your destination country. Look for opportunities to direct money into the hands of those who most need it.
- Enter the Responsible Travel Photo competition or vote for your favourite photo. Great prizes up for grabs!
- Support Tourism Concern in their campaign to make tourism a positive rather than a negative impact on developing countries.
- Purchase The Ethical Travel Guide, available in Australia at Collins Booksellers. It contains responsible travel trips for countries around the world, including website links to accommodation and tours. Grab a copy for a farewell gift to globe trotting friends.
- Contact us and tell us about your stories and how you are making an impact in a positive way during your travel.